These recipes come from the 1932 The Silent Hostess Treasure Book.
Shrimp Cocktail and Cocktail Sauce
By January 13, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1 cup, approx.
- Prep: 15-30 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
A classic appetizer!
- 1/2 cup catsup or Chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Few drops Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Horseradish to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together and keep in screw-top jar.
- If fresh shrimps are used, cook in boiling water for fifteen minutes, or until shrimps are red. Cool and remove shells. With a sharp knife cut out black line through center of back. Chill thoroughly. When ready to serve, arrange in sherbet or double cocktail glasses with a piece of lemon and with small cups of Cocktail Sauce in center of glasses. Or if this arrangement is not convenient, pour two tablespoons of the sauce over the shrimps. When using canned shrimps, drain off liquid in can, remove black line and proceed as for fresh shrimps.
- [of course, in this modern day and age we can get cooked, ready to eat shrimp from the grocery store. In that case, just make your cocktail sauce, and dig in!]